Many people were skeptical as to why Kanye West had been left off of Coachella’s headlining slot for this year. New reports have surfaced as to what exactly caused this decision to leave Ye off the popular festival.
According to Billboard, Kanye West told festival organizers on New Year’s Day that he would need a giant dome be built on festival grounds for his performance for the main stage. However, organizers said that the dome was almost impossible to construct in four months and would require that the festival area be rearranged. This move would have had those in charge remove a portion of portable bathrooms to accommodate to Kanye West’s desires.
“He has some great [production] ideas, but we just weren’t able to pull them off right now,” Coachella co-founder Paul Tollett told Los Angeles Times. “I’d like to circle back with him and figure out a future plan of what to do with what’s in his head. He’s very capable of coming up with ideas that work that are pretty great. Up until Jan. 1, we were making a poster with Kanye on it. We started realizing we’re probably going to have an impasse production-wise.”
Kanye allegedly became frustrated with the event and said “that he was an artist with a creative vision who shouldn’t be spending his time talking about port-a-potties.” He reportedly hung up on the phone call and less than 24 hours later, Coachella booked Ariana Grande as his replacement.